A few years ago there were some memes going around on social media asking you to make confessions about yourself.
What were you wearing?
What’s your favorite food?
What does no one else know about you?
I loved them.
I must have some exhibitionist tendencies – or else frequently feel like I am not all that exciting and so jump at opportunities to show off my eccentricities.
Hey look! I’m quirky and weird!! Isn’t that awesome?
In my writing course (which I am clearly not acing as I am choosing not to go deeply into my psyche to uncover all of the broken bits) one of the assignments that I am willing to do is a list of confessions.
I love lists.
And apparently confessing.
So without further ado…
1. I absolutely hate the word meme.
2. On a philosophical level I believe strongly in the value and validity and potential of every single child. But there are only about 10 kids that I actually like in reality.
3. I actively attempt to talk my children out of pursuing careers that will consume their lives.
4. I can’t talk on the phone. I go all ADD and start doing other things and can’t listen to the words.
5. I kind of wish I had never gotten used to my current lifestyle. It’s expensive and hard to maintain.
6. But I love my house and the environment my kids are growing up in. And money.
7. I don’t like touching anything squishy or slimy (but really, who does?)
8. I love doing DIY projects but have very little patience with detailed steps so I usually screw something major up along the way.
9. I am almost pathologically independent and have trouble letting people help me. I’m working on it.
10. My kids have only ever brushed their teeth once a day. We lie to the dentist.
11. I am semi-obsessed with organic and homemade food, but I’d arm wrestle you for a bag of Doritos in a second.
12. I also can’t seem to stop drinking Diet Coke.
13. I actively avoid goal setting processes so I am not on the hook for meeting any goals. I know I’m still on the hook – but not formalizing makes me less stressed about it.
14. I sometimes wonder what I could do if I applied my full effort and potential to something. But the idea of doing so terrifies me and I wouldn’t know where to start.
15. I wonder if I will ever figure out what my “life’s work” was supposed to be – I’m pretty sure it isn’t PowerPoint.
16. I don’t remember any details of high school. Some vague things, some people, but not a vivid John Hughes film memory of any kind. (Just to clarify – there were no substances of any kind involved in my memory lapse.)
17. I have utterly given up on controlling my children’s access to media of all kinds.
18. I was totally faking it when I played the flute in marching band.
19. I have a cow collection that I have in no way contributed to collecting.
20. There are things I won’t tell you even though I have this whole exhibitionist thing going.
Ok – your turn – one confession in the comments. You can do it!
*I’m participating in Write Yourself Alive – a 30 day online writing program – I’ll be responding to the daily prompts here. To respect the program I won’t actually say what the prompt is, so bear with me – this could be pretty random :)