The prompt I found for today was “is your least favorite food from childhood still your least favorite?”
That’s a good question and maybe conducive to quickly typing on my phone while riding on a train (and not wearing my reading glasses – so I can in no way guarantee I am using the right letters.)
My least favorite foods in childhood were…
- Anything with crunchy onions in it
- Anything squishy or gristly
- Lima beans
Of course, I don’t think I really got out of eating these things since when I was a kid it was solidly in the era of “eat it or starve.”
And I’m not about starving.
My least favorite foods now (basically things I don’t even consider eating):
- Raw onions unless they are very very small and in salsa
- Mushrooms unless they are cut up very very small so that I can’t feel them. Fungus is spongy and I just can’t.
- Most forms of green peppers.
- Roasted red peppers – this aligns with the slimy squishy aversion.
- Tofu or any kind of processed soy – my stomach is not a soy fan.
- Beef, pork, chicken, anything in a shell (slimy), sea bugs (lobster, shrimp, crabs) especially if they still look like they did when they were alive (with legs and stuff 🤢)
- Lima beans, kidney beans, any large type of beans.
- Eggplant – I tried, I really tried, but no. Not even Eggplant Parmesan which is basically an excuse to eat fried breading with cheese.
- Okra – blech
Most people expand their palate in adulthood – and I have to some degree. I am more willing to eat veggies and (small) beans, and spicy things. But overall I am definitely more limited than I once was.
I’m also endeavoring to avoid bread and pasta, most diary, most processed foods, and most sugar. Also artificial sweeteners and anything that claims to be “lite.”
It’s fun to take me out to dinner.
I say no to a lot.
Unless I’m eating at my parents house. Because my mom is pretty sure I’m going to starve and NOW that concerns her far more than it did when I was small and starvation was a more real threat and she was trying to convince me that mushrooms were not evil.
They are totally evil.
I also can’t say no to pizza or ice cream or cake on special occasions (and sometimes Tuesday is a very special occasion.) My guidelines are not super strict.
Except for the onions and the mushrooms and meat and the squishy stuff. Those are carved in ancient stone.
And I’m a grown up you can’t make me.
OMG…how short is the list of foods you like? Just wondering.
It doesn’t feel all that short really – the “trying to avoid” list is mucking things up a bit since those are definitely the things I like. But I’m trying super hard to live forever so sacrifices must be made. Unless there is pizza…
I saved this article. Worth a read. https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/10/why-i-hope-to-die-at-75/379329/