A Day in the Life

IMG_0766“To everything, there is a season.”

This is apparently my season of figuring out how to clone myself. This picture -> is an actual page from our family calendar.  Looking at it freaks me right the heck out.

So much drama.

I mean literally, both kids are participating in the drama clubs at their respective schools and therefore there is a lot of drama all over the place there.

All of this flurry of child-related activity results in schedules jam packed between 4 and 8 PM. For those four hours, I need more of me.

During the days things are far less hectic. My work days, which I’m not gonna talk about in great detail here, do not involve nearly the level of strategic time bending that the evenings do. It’s an all or nothing situation. Days spent psyching up for the mad dash ahead.

My typical weekday, if there is such a thing, starts at 5:40AM.

My entire participation at this point in the day is hitting the snooze button. I am allowed 3 snoozes.

This morning while hitting snooze I somehow also managed to turn on the electric heating pad on my bed, on high.  So the next time the alarm went off I thought to myself, “Wow, it is damn hot in here” as I hit snooze again (that would be #2).

Apparently I figured out the heating pad situation by the time the next alarm sounded, and turned off the heat and the alarm in tandem (#3). I am impressed with my multi-tasking ability when I am essentially asleep.

With the bed no longer oven-like and the alarm off, I went back to sleep (oops), waking up about 5 minutes before my kids were supposed to be on the bus.

Today is the last day for the next two months that no one has to be anywhere.  And of course I overslept and had to drive both kids to school. Apparently I subconsciously wanted to get some chauffeuring in.

Or, you know, more sleep.

There was surprisingly little drama (there it is again) in the process of getting everyone up and out. The dog was mad that she couldn’t come. She likes to come to the bus stop, but can’t be trusted on the open road.  Or outside of the kitchen, but that’s a whole other story.

Lunches were packed. Coffee was made. Dog walking was completed. Coffee was consumed. Consciousness emerged.

Waffles were eaten. Waffles were forgotten.

I drove in my pajamas. I’m a daredevil.

I reminded my children not to do drugs. Or set themselves on fire. Or run with scissors. They assured me they know and I can stop telling them.  What I heard: It’s working.

I came home and debated whether my next hour should involve exercise or television. As is likely to happen at 8AM on a Friday, television won.

Good cathartic cry under my belt, I progressed to showering and putting on clothes. Before noon on a work-at-home-day I am calling that a major accomplishment. Yay, me.

An email came with a list of additional child events. Having already cried today (over the Bravermans, I’m fine…) I remained calm.

I updated calendars and sent texts. I contemplated the scary wall calendar and decided it was time to write my assignment for the day, if only to have an excuse to stop looking at it and trying to figure out how to be in 2 (or 3) places at 5PM on Tuesday.

Note to self: Google cloning.

I have reading to do for work and decided that it would be completely valid to do that while getting a pedicure. There I go multitasking again.

Soon I will go give blood. It’s my good deed. I feel a little guilty that my one consistent good deed involves sipping a Diet Coke, snacking on cookies, and bleeding. Work with your strengths = my mantra.

At 3 children come home. I will sit at the kitchen table and work.

Work involves writing and trying to make boring things sound less boring (coming in handy right about now). Work also involves checking emails. And maybe peeking in on Facebook several thousand times, but only because I am a total overachiever.

Tonight the children are headed off to stay with their Dad.

I have a date weekend. I love date weekends <3.

Tonight we are taking a cooking class.  The only thing better than date weekend is a date weekend with Italian food and free wine.

Tomorrow I do NOT have to get up at 5:40. Or 5:50. Or even 6:00.  I’ll be sleeping in and reserving my energy, training for the marathon that will be Monday. And Tuesday.

And also Googling cloning.

*I’m participating in Write Yourself Alive – a 30 day online writing program – I’ll be responding to the daily prompts here. To respect the program I won’t actually say what the prompt is, so bear with me – this could be pretty random :)

About Kristen

Me: Kristen, more than 40-something (don't make me face the number), suburban mom of 2, working girl, therapeutic writer, proprietor of an emptying nest Addictions: Iced Coffee, FOMO resulting in twitchy compulsion to check FB/Instagram/Pinterest in an unending loop, texting, hugging my one child while Snapchatting the other and yelling at my dog

What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s